Shine is in. We love shiny jewelry, shiny shoes and shiny glass. For a twist on the traditional why not add some shine to your furniture by upholstering it in a trendy, high gloss fabric such as vinyl or patent leather? It will add a sophisticated look to many areas of your home.
Vinyl is an affordable alternative to leather, is durable and easy to clean. But, best of all, it comes in an array of shiny colors that will complement your décor.
• Cover your barstools in glossy red vinyl for a retro look in your family room or bar area.
• Upholster your breakfast room chair seats in bright yellow vinyl for a sunny greeting in the morning. And since vinyl wipes clean with a damp cloth, no more worries about syrupy hands on your upholstery.
• Colorful vinyl bean bag chairs offer additional seating for family movie night or those noisy slumber parties.
• Upholster a daybed or small couch to add a grown up feel to a teenager’s bedroom. The vinyl can withstand the wear and tear it is bound to receive.
Patent leather is “real” leather that has been given a high gloss finish. It is often used to make shoes, handbags and belts. However, this durable fabric is now making an appearance on furniture.
• A set of patent leather chairs will turn an ordinary dining room into an extraordinary space.
• A settee covered in high gloss patent leather will add a sexy touch to your master bedroom when placed at the foot of the bed.
• Place a patent leather ottoman in your den for a bit of shine next to the matte finishes of wood and leather.
• A ladies home office can be dressed up with a high gloss office chair. Choose crisp black leather for a sophisticated look or, for a rich and luxurious feel, choose a soft cream color.
• Upholster a headboard for the dancer in the family. The shiny black patent leather will mimic the look of her favorite tap shoes and add interest to a fun, dance-themed bedroom.
This is a fun trend that can be easily incorporated into your current decorating plans. Just let your creativity be your guide.